Day 8: Dark Chocolate Peppermint Brownies
Today is National Brownie Day, everyone! What better way to celebrate on a baking blog than by baking a batch? I’m a huge fan of any and all brownies, but especially Ghiradelli brownies. With this peppermint twist these things were amazing! A teaspoon of peppermint extract goes quite a long way and gives these brownies the perfect amount of peppermint kick. Feel free to use whichever brand of brownies you want, but I would highly suggest going with a dark chocolate kind. Mint and dark chocolate together is just wonderful, wouldn’t you agree?
We just had new neighbors move in across the street, so they were welcomed to the neighborhood with these tonight. : )
-1 box of dark chocolate Ghiradelli Brownie mix
-1/2 cup vegetable oil
-1/4 cup water
-1 tsp. peppermint extract
-1/2 cup white chocolate chips (melted)
-crushed candy canes OR if you can find it, 1/2 cup Andes Peppermint crunch baking chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 and spray your 8×8 pan.
2. Combine water, oil, egg and brownie mix in bowl.
3. Add peppermint extract and stir until all is combined.
4. Spread into pan.
5. Lick bowl and spoon. I’ve been doing this for 22 years and haven’t gotten Salmonella yet, so LICK THE SPOON! You know you want to.
6. Bake for 45 minutes.
7. Let brownies cool and then drizzle with melted white chocolate chips and sprinkle crushed candy canes on top.
Like I said, I just used crushed candy canes, which were awesome, but the recipe this was adapted from used Andes peppermint crunch baking chips. I couldn’t find these anywhere, but I bet they’d be awesome to try!
For the melted white chocolate chips, they didn’t get as creamy as I’d like, so I added some heavy whipping cream and then created a piping bag out of a snack size ziploc baggy to make it easy to squiggle all over the brownies.
But for now, more peppermint brownie pictures…